Week 3 Story: The Creation Story, From Eve

One day, I just appeared out of nowhere. I was a grown woman in the middle of a garden in a place that I'd never been to before. Everything just seemed so perfect – the weather, the plants, the animals, and this man that was just like me, a human. I couldn't help but be completely captivated by him, as if I'd known him my whole life. Well, to be honest, that's a true statement, I had known him for my whole life. But, you get what I mean, right? 

Together, we lived one of the craziest lives. Our home was a garden, full of only the most perfect versions of anything that had ever existed. We had endless food, endless fun and were best friends with the man that created it all – the Creator Himself. Everything was going amazing, until one day things took a turn.

There was always this one animal, a serpent, that I always suspected was up to no good. One day he approached me and tempted me with the one thing God told us never to do – to eat the fruit that came from the tree of knowledge in the garden – saying that if we ate the fruit we would become like God. Everything in me was telling me not to do it, but yet I still took a bite out of that apple. And, there it was, I had committed the first sin.

I was in shock and didn't know what to do, so I went to Adam and convinced him to also take a bite out of the fruit. He did, and in that moment, we both felt a rush of uneasiness, shame and guilt cover us both. It fully hit us with all we had done.

We didn't know what to do – we couldn't tell God, we couldn't run, we were lost. As time for our daily walk with God approached I knew we were going to have to tell Him, completely oblivious that He already knew it all. When the time came, God clothed us in animal skin and cursed the world forever in two ways. One, that the ground should be hard for men to work with, and two, that childbirth would now be a work of labor for all women. 

God then sent us out of the garden, never to see that perfectly beautiful place again. I can't help but always catch myself thinking back on that day, wondering what I could have done differently, if anything at all. There's just some things you'll always question and this will forever be it for me. A strong word of advise – listen to God and obey His commands, because He always has your best interests in mind. 


Photo of the National Botanical Gardens in Dublin, Ireland
(Taken by Florian Giorgio on Unsplash)

The inspiration for this story came from the story of the creation of the world, found in Genesis 1-3 of the Bible. The section I chose to work from this week was Biblical Women, and this was the story for Eve. Eve was the first woman in the world and is one of my favorite Bible characters, and her story along with the creation story completely fascinates me. For this short story, my goal was to present the creation story through the eyes of Eve in a first-person narrative. I think when this story is read, Eve's side can be lost, and looking at it through her eyes was a new way to see the story for a girl who has read and told it hundreds of times. 

Genesis 2-3, the story of Eve in the Creation of the World, the King James Bible

Comments

  1. Hi Sara, well thought out and methodical rendition of the story of Adam and Eve. I am not brave enough to change a story and tailor it to me in first person! Considering your background in writing and posting articles on the internet, I do not have a lot to say about your writing. For future works do you intend to keep a theme of biblical stories? If so, I found it entertaining to keep the story in third person and just change a plot in a way that I saw fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara!
    I loved that you kept the details of the story the same, but told it through Eve's point of view. I also read the women in the bible section and noticed in many of the stories that women seemed to be such a side character, and they were pretty mistreated by a lot of the men. The story of Eve is such an important lesson, and we are surrounded by temptation everyday in this world as she was. It was so well written! I usually try to leave one question or constructive critique when commenting on other's post, but I am truly struggling to find something to say. It would be interesting to tell this story in which Eve did not fall to temptation, how would the world be different?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts