Introduction to Sara Haugland – Your Friendly Neighborhood PR Gal

Hello everyone!

My name is Sara Haugland and I am a senior public relations major from Moore, Oklahoma. I'll be graduating this May with my bachelors, with a minor in sociology, from the Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication  – yay! My approach for this blog is going to be to quickly – and hopefully, intriguingly – throw facts about myself at you so you can efficiently and effectively get to know about me. So, here goes!


Photo of my identical sister and myself
(Photo taken by my mother)

I have an identical twin sister. This fact is always my go-to when in ice-breakers you have to say a fun fact about yourself – I love having this one built into my life! Her name is Mary, and yes, she's two minutes younger than me. She currently studies Speech Language Pathology at the OU Health Sciences Center, with plans to go to Medical School in the coming years. We're completely different, yet so alike, and it's probably one of the biggest flexes of all-time to say I have an identical twin.

I went to a private Christian school for 13 years. Like I mentioned earlier, I grew up around here in the local area, and I went to a local Christian school for 13 years – including elementary, middle school and high school all at the same place. While I attended this school, so many things happened: I graduated valedictorian of my 62 person graduating class, won the Class 3A Volleyball State Championship my junior and senior years of high school, broke my wrist while playing fast-pitch softball, won the 4A Academic State Championship for slow-pitch my freshman, junior and senior years of high school, and concluded my high school experience by winning my school's female scholar athlete of the year award. You could definitely say I peaked in high school;)

I started at OU as a meteorology major. Growing up in central Oklahoma, I've been around storms my whole life. I wanted to be a storm chaser for my whole life, until I actually took the meteorology classes here at OU. It was definitely NOTHING that I expected it to be, and I felt absolutely no passion for it. So, I switched to public relations, and now here we are! Bonus fun fact: the only B I have received in a class so far at OU was in general chemistry my first semester at OU – thanks science.

I used to work for the OKC Thunder! My sophomore year at OU I interned with the OKC Thunder in their communications department, assisting journalists in writing news letters after each home game. This internship was without-a-doubt THE coolest job I think I will ever have, it sadly just wasn't what I wanted to do for a career. While interning there, Steven Adams touched my hand during an interview and Kevin Durant's butt brushed up against my back  – two memories I always tell people about my time working there.

I currently work as a blog writer for The Brides of Oklahoma. My literal dream job is the internship I have been doing for a little over a year now! I currently work for Wedlink Media, which houses Brides of North Texas, Oklahoma, Houston and Austin, all wedding magazines that help brides find vendors for their big day. My job is getting to write about the prettiest weddings, along with wedding in-the-know content, and that's such a huge reason why I'm so excited about being able to write all semester in this class. Bonus fun fact: I'm published in-print in one of the magazines – The Brides of North Texas Fall/Winter 2020 issue!

I'm the president of Sigma Phi Lambda, Sisters for the Lord, on campus. This semester starts my second term as serving as the president for my sorority here on campus! Sigma Phi Lambda is in the Independent Greek Council, so don't feel bad if you've never heard of us before – but now that you know, you should definitely check us out! 

My favorite coffee order is an iced vanilla latte. I basically live on iced vanilla lattes, and they're essentially my blood type now. I'm that person that always has a coffee in hand, and it's always iced, whether it's freezing or 100 degrees out!

I'm an enneagram type 3. I thrive on check lists and getting things done, but have a huge downfall of being competitive in situations. I love being a type 3, and as soon as I took the test and saw my results I knew the enneagram was scary accurate in a number of ways. If anyone else is an enneagram 3, let me know how many checklists you keep for yourself daily.

I'm ready for this semester and to read everyone's content! I wish you all a happy, healthy and successful semester:)

 

Comments

  1. Hi Sarah! It made me chuckle when you said thank science to general chemistry because when I took it I remember it being one of my worst classes ever. No one in that class enjoyed it or at least the people I sat with! What was it like working for the OKC Thunder? You say it is not what you wanted to do as a career and mention your dream job. Are you wanting to stay a blog writer for The Brides of Oklahoma or in the future maybe start a blog of your own?

    I hope you have an amazing semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome intro Sara! That's so cool that you were able to intern with the Thunder and meet some star athletes. Steven is one of my favorites! The formatting of your post and blog is definitely indicative of your enneagram test results lol! I hope you finish out your time here at OU strong and best of luck in the job hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sara! I found it so cool that you are an identical twin. My little sister are twins but they are fraternal. You honestly would not even be able to tell that they are related. My senior year of college, I wanted to be a meteorology major . Once I started researching what it was all about I quickly changed my mind. I now am majoring in Sociology and I love it and can't wait to help people in any way I can once I graduate (I'm and enneagram type 2).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sara! I really enjoy playing and watching basketball, so I think it’s awesome how you worked for the Thunder. I can’t even imagine what it would be like to see the players up close. I was previously a biology major so I can completely relate to how you feel about science as it was definitely a drag. Anyways, I hope you have fun with your remaining time at OU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sara!
    So, first thanks for your comment on my intro post! It's so nice to find other "Jesus people" in class! It always encourages me. I think it's also cool that you're in your last semester too! Graduation is gonna be so much fun and so worth it! So, fun fact, I have a HUGE crush on Steven Adams and I think if I would've touched his hand, I would have straight out fainted! Also how cool is it that you are already working at your dream job?! Do you think they will hire you full time after you graduate? You are super smart, so if they don't sounds like they will be missing out on a great employee! Oh, and it's really cool you are a 3! I'm a 7 but my best friend is a 3. Enneagrams are so fun! Also, thanks for your offer! I have a lot on my plate just now, but I may check yall out your group later if ya'll have events or something. Hope you have a greats semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sara! Really nice to meet you. First off I want to say the way you styled your blog is really nice. I am also from Oklahoma and have a younger sibling (4 years not 2 minutes lol). I am a really big Oklahoma City Thunder fan so I am kind of jealous you got to work for them. I'm also a biology major and can agree that science has a way of messing up your GPA. Hope you have a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sara, I am the same way when it comes to coffee beverages…it absolutely must be an iced drink regardless of the weather. I am happy for you that you currently working your way to your dream job and in doing so, you are able to work an internship in the middle of the school year! It seems you have time management skills well under control—something I am still working on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sara!
    I think it is super cool that you are getting the opportunity to work for The Brides Of Oklahoma! I am completely obsessed with weddings, as many girls are. I bet it is so fun to get to write about all the little details that matter so much! I am a Pi Phi and we were paired with Sigma Phi Lambda for homecoming one year, I met some of the girls at tryouts and they were all so kind! I didn't get to spend much time with them as I am a horrible dancer and didn't make it, lol, but it was nice to meet them, maybe I met you! Do you get your latte's from Starbucks or is there a coffee shop here that you like? I love the seasonal salted caramel foam cold brew, but sadly it's about to be off the menu!!!
    It was nice getting to learn a bit about you!
    Brooklin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sara! Super cool that you got to intern for the Thunder, seems like a fun time. Seems like a bummer that you had such a great time but still didn't want to pursue a career, but everyone has their own path to follow. Shocking change from meteorology to public relations but hilarious that your only B was in general chemistry. I didn't know wedding content was that big of a deal, glad you found your dream job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that is the cutest picture ofyou and your sister, Sara: how wonderful! There are no twins in my family, but one of my best friends in college had a twin sister. I got to be friends with both of them but, wow, they had such different personalities! (And yay for your sister doing Speech Pathology by the way; that is something I find so fascinating: I had some speech problems when I was little and had to see a speech therapist, and she made it feel like a game... so fun, and it really helped with my speech too; my big lisp is just a little lisp now.)
    That is so cool about having worked for the Thunder although, in terms of storytelling, the wedding legends are way more fun than sports legends, just in my opinion anyway ha ha (my husband would probably disagree).
    I see more and more students who are into enneagrams now too; maybe that is something you can work into one of your wedding stories, some couple who is convinced they are going to do great because of compatible enneagrams... or just the opposite.
    Anyway, this class is such a great fit for your major and for your work, and I am excited to have weddings be part of the class this semester! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sara,
    It is so cool that you work with weddings! It must be so fun to see all of the pretty aesthetics. My high school calculus teacher opened up a flower shop in my hometown about five years ago called Stem and Leaf (like the stem and leaf plot). I used to argue with him over everything, and that name was no exception. I tried to get him to change the name to something with more charm to it, but he said he had already bought business cards with that name so that’s what he went with. Have you heard of it? He has some of the best flowers I have ever seen. If you’re ever in Vian, Oklahoma, you should check it out, and maybe see if he remembers the time I argued with him for an hour and a half over dividing by zero.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sara,

    That's so awesome that it seems like you and your twin are super close. You also seemed so involved from being the president in your sorority, to writing blogs for weddings, and also interning with the OKC Thunder. You seem very cool, and it seems like you have a passion for all that you are doing. I'm on the executive team for BYX on campus, so I know that you must be very busy! Hope your semester is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sara,
    I think it is wonderful you had an opportunity to work for the Thunder. Also, your current job sounds pretty amazing! You seem passionate about everything you are involved in. I am a fan of vanilla lattes as well but mine have to be hot. If I drink cold coffee, I end up drinking them too fast. I hope you and your sister have a great semester.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Sara,
    It was really awesome getting to know a little more about you! It seems like you have managed to do any and everything possible to do both in high school and college, I don't know how you even find the time to sleep in the middle of all of that! Also, it seems like you have such an awesome career plan laid out for yourself and are so incredibly passionate about it! One question: what on earth is a enneagram!?

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI Sara! I love how you have formatted your introduction post! It helps us get to know you a little better and the breaks between topics is helpful too! I am also an enneagram type three! I didn't know you were too! That's awesome! But I am a three wing four so I have a superiority complex and also am quite the rollercoaster! I also think that iced coffee is meant for all temperatures so I am glad that you think so as well. Congrats on your presidency for Phi Lamb that is awesome to hear! Also if you work for Brides of Oklahoma, I wonder if you know Sarah Cermak? She currently works there post grad! Excited to read some of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Sara, my fellow iced vanilla latte lover! I grew up in Noble, OK so not too far from you! I also love that you are a fellow God fearing woman (we can always use more of those around here). I had no idea that there was a club like that on campus though! Maybe I should go join! I think your job sounds so fun! I wish you the best of luck with everything Sara!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts