Feedback Thoughts: Dealing With Negative Feedback & Letting Go of Perfectionism

After reading the article "6 Hidden Downsides of Perfectionism," I feel personally called out and it only just further proves how much of a perfectionist I really am. On the outside, it seems like we have it all together, but on the inside I do really struggle with many of the things mentioned in this article. One of the biggest ones is procrastination, and while I do get everything done at least two days before it's due, I find myself procrastinating in the day-to-day because I strive so hard to make everything perfect that I'm left feeling completely burnt out. The other downside to perfectionism I struggle with mentioned in this article is disregard for my health. I seem to find myself staying up to crazy hours, only drinking coffee, and only eating one big meal a day with a snack or two before I go to bed. All of this is what the stress of having to be perfect has caused in my life.

With that being said, I am a writer for a living, where every bit of work I do for my job is critiqued, edited, and then released to my audience for their judgement. I've actually become accustomed to my work being changed and receiving all kinds of feedback, ranging from good to bad. While I absolutely thrive on good feedback, the harsh feedback fuels me to be so much better. Like in the article "The Importance of Mistakes," it's hard to move on, grow, and be content if you do not embrace your mistakes as they come at you. Any mistake, and for this class is writing, is an opportunity to grow and become a better creative writer along the way. 


Photo of a person typing on a computer
(Taken by Glenn Carstens-Peters on Unsplash)


Comments

Popular Posts